I cnduo’t bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh?
Core Knowledge Language Arts Curriculum
Mr. D’s Class Reading Skills iBook
- Reading Class Rubric
- Reading Class Discussion Group Rubric
- Partner Reading Rubric
- Reading Strategy Rubric
- Literature jobs
- Reading to be Informed
- Reading for Literary Experience
- READING CONTRACT
Your Response Journal in Kidblog
As you read, write your personal response in your Response Journal. Be sure to always write the date. You also need to edit, so that we are able to understand your responses.
State your feelings, thoughts, reactions, and questions about situations, ideas, actions, characters, settings, symbols, plot, theme, and any other elements of the book. You can’t be wrong in your responses, so take some risks and be honest. Write about what you like or dislike, what seems confusing or unusual to you. Tell what you think something means. Make predictions about what might happen later. Relate your personal experiences which connect with the plot, characters, or setting. Don’t just summarize the plot. Let me hear your voice.
Be sure to fully explain!
1. I wonder what this means…
2. I really don’t understand this part…
3. I really like/dislike this idea because…
4. This character reminds me of somebody I know because…
5. This character reminds me of myself because…
6. This character is like (name of character) in (title of book) because…
7. I think this setting is important because…
8. This scene reminds me of a similar scene in (title of book) because…
9. I like/dislike this writing because….
10. This part is very realistic/unrealistic because….
11. I think the relationship between ______and ______ is interesting because…
12. This section makes me think about, because…
13. I like/dislike (name of character) because…
14. This situation reminds me of a similar situation in my own life. It happened when…
15. The character I most admire is ________ because…
16. If I were (name of character) at this point, I would..
17. I really wish that….(Thanks to reading lady.com for this) Who is Jack referring to in this riddle:Brothers and sisters have I none. But this man’s father is my father’s son. Email Mr. D the answer and win a prize! Please don’t tell anyone about this puzzle, let them find it themselves.
Your Book Reviews
Before writing a book review, you need to have your parent sign an Independent Reading Slip. You can either print it off or just write down the same information on lined paper.